Monthly financial aid
Our service offers monthly financial aid to UNIGE and HES-SO Geneva students whose income is insufficient for them to carry out their studies in decent and suitable enough conditions to ensure their success.
Types of assistance available
- Category 1: Students who have lived in Geneva or in the border area for less than two years and whose annual income is situated between CHF 10'000 and CHF 14'999. The monthly grant is CHF 800 for UNIGE students and CHF 950 HES-SO Geneva students.
- Category 2: Students who live in Geneva or in the border area and whose annual income is situated between CHF 15'000 and CHF 18'000. The monthly grant is CHF 600 both for UNIGE students and HES-SO Geneva students.
- Category 3: Students in a relationship, with or without children. The amount granted corresponds to the negative difference between the reference budget - which features in the table below - and the student's income. The expenses in relation to the student’s children and/or partner living in another country are not accounted for.
These grants are transferred on a monthly basis, from September to January and from February to June, exclusively to a Swiss bank account in the student's name. It is important that you submit a complete file, under penalty of refusal (list of compulsory documents to produce for the submission of your request, in French). Depending on the case, the Financial Service will assist students in applying to a private fund.
In order to be eligible for a monthly grant, students must:
- Be registered at the UNIGE or HES-SO Geneva in a first Bachelor or Master program.
- Not be eligible for a cantonal scholarship in the sense of the LBPE, or have had their application for the current academic year rejected (Please note: we invite you to submit your applications for scholarships to a cantonal service and to our service at the same time).
- Have successfully completed at least one year of studies at a recognized Swiss university in the same course of study. Changes of course of study due to failure may be admitted subject to the approval of the Scholarship Committee.
In particular, the following persons are not eligible for monthly financial assistance:
- People enrolled in continuing education.
- Students of the HES-SO Geneva enrolled in bridging or pre-Master programs.
- Students - or students whose parents/guarantors or partner - who benefit from tax immunities in international matters. This concerns international officials.
- Students in possession of a wealth greater than CHF 18'000.
All granting criteria are detailed in the Directive (in French), which is the authoritative document.
Note that a grant may exceptionally be awarded to students who do not meet all of the above criteria in the event of an extreme social emergency.
Students can apply for monthly financial aid from August 1 to September 30 for the following academic year and from January 15 to February 28 for the spring semester.
Useful documents and links
- Directive des aides financières (in French)
- Annex - list of compulsory documents (in French)
- Loi sur les bourses et prêts d'études (LBPE) (in French)
- Service des bourses et des prêts d'études (SBPE) (in French)
- Liste des services cantonaux des bourses d'études (in French)
- Funding your PhD thesis (in French)
- How to open a Swiss bank account