The Financial Aid Service offers one-time financial aid to help students experiencing temporary and unexpected financial difficulties, such as a sudden and temporary loss of income or substantial unforeseen expenses that may not be covered by social insurances. One-time financial aids can be granted one time per semester for 1 to 3 months maximum depending on the type of aid.
Types of assistance available
A one-time aid may be granted for the following motives:
- Loss of employment
- Food costs
- Housing expenses
- Cost of study materials
- Medical expenses in Switzerland not covered by health insurance
It is important that you submit a complete file, under penalty of refusal (list of compulsory documents to produce for the submission of your request, in French).
In order to be eligible for a one-time aid, students must:
- Be registered at the UNIGE or HES-SO Geneva in a first Bachelor or Master program.
- Demonstrate temporary and unforeseen financial difficulties based on the types of needs listed above.
- Not have savings and/or a personal wealth allowing to provide for one's needs for the next three months.
All granting conditions are detailed in the Directive (in French), which is the authoritative document.
Autumn semester: from August 1 to December 20
Spring semester: from January 15 to May 31
Helpful links and documents
- Directive of financial aid (in French)
- Annex - list of compulsory documents (in French)
- Funding your PhD thesis (in French)
- Work attestation (in French)
- Centre Universitaire de Médecine Dentaire (CUMD) (in French)
- How to open a Swiss bank account