Mr Patrick JONES
Research and Teaching Assistant
+41 22 379 78 87
Additional Information / Informations supplémentaires
Research Interests / Recherches
I hold a BA in English Language and Literature (First Class) and an MA in Cultural and Critical Theory (Distinction) from the University of Leeds. I am currently working on a doctoral thesis entitled ‘Henry James and the Question of Living’. This project, which explores James’s career-long preoccupation with the relationship between writing and finitude, reflects my broader research interests: the late nineteenth-century novel in English and French; existential phenomenology (particularly the work of Maurice Merleau-Ponty); secularisation and its impact on modern aesthetics; and the comparative study of literature and philosophy. In 2018, I was awarded a ‘Doc.Mobility’ fellowship by the Swiss National Science Foundation. This enabled me to conduct intensive research at the Houghton Library (Harvard), Boston College, and Yale University, where I was a Visiting Assistant in Research in the Department of Comparative Literature during the Autumn semester of 2019.
- ‘Strange Distance: Bergson and Symbolism’, TRANS– Revue de littérature générale et comparée (forthcoming, 2020)
- ‘“The Strange Irregular Rhythm of Life”: “The Art of Fiction” as Lebensphilosophie’, The Sound of James: The Aural Dimension in Henry James's Work, Università degli Studi di Trieste, July 2019.
- ‘Critical Vitalism and the Ethics of Care’, Radical Materialisms, Boston College, April 2019.
- ‘The Lesson of Zola: Henry James and Creative Evolution’, Forms of Knowledge: Literature and Philosophy (OverLap), University of Edinburgh, November 2017.
- ‘Full Pauses: Henry James and Vitalism’, Modernist Life (British Association for Modernist Studies), University of Birmingham, June 2017.
- ‘Laying Bare the Ground: Milly Theale and the Question of ‘Living’’, Shifting Grounds: Literature, Culture, and Spatial Phenomenologies, Universität Zürich, November 2016.
- ‘L’homme vu du dehors: Henry James and Maurice Merleau-Ponty’, Critical Theory and Life: Ethics, Religion, Ecology (Northern Theory School), Université de Genève, May 2016.