Staff week - Welcoming refugees into university: towards a global approach
16 Nov 2022 | Geneva
The University of Geneva and the University of Zurich, under the project Uni4Refugees, would like to invite HEI Staff from Switzerland universities, to discuss various approaches and expertise on the subject of refugees integration.
What are the needs of refugee students, integration authorities, and university management? What are the pathways to meet their needs? How does this impact refugee support services at universities? Uni4Refugees invites HEI staff to discuss these questions with peers and experts in a hands-on and inspiring staff week.
“Welcoming refugees into university: towards a global approach"
From Wednesday 16th to Friday 18th of November 2022
This event will take place at the University of Geneva (Uni Dufour and Uni Mail buildings) in the form of a training on knowledge sharing and collaboration.
The idea and the goal are that you will go back home with useful elements for the institution where you work.
The event will be held in English, French and German and the target audiences are mainly administrative or teaching staff of a university, and/or staff of another institution related to asylum and tertiary education.
You can find the program below, where you will find all the information about practical details of the event.
We look forward to meeting you in Geneva soon !
- Welcome & Staff week invitees' presentation - Room 260 @Uni Dufour - 16h00
Speakers : Didier Raboud (General Secretary UNIGE), Mathieu Crettenand (UNIGE), Sara Elmer-Udry (UZH) (ENG)
- Apéritif - Room 260 @Uni Dufour - 18h00
- Language teaching and academic culture - Room M1160 @Uni Mail - 9h00-12h00
Speakers : Prof. Isabelle Racine and Horizon académique language team (UNIGE) (FR/ENG)
- Academic integration with public authorities - Room U259 @Uni Dufour - 14h00-17h00
Speakers : Nicolas Roguet (Bureau de l'intégration des étrangers), Prosper Dombele (Secrétariat d'état aux migrations), Clemens Tuor (swissuniversities), Philippe Allen (Hospice général), Stefanie Gonzalez (Horizon académique UNIGE) (ENG/FR)
- Dinner - Bateau-Lavoir, Prom. des Lavandières, 1204 Genève - 19h30
- The Need of Intercultural Competence in Refugee Counselling Settings: A Radical New Culturally Sensitive Framework - Room 260 @Uni Dufour - 9h00-12h00
Speaker : Jorge Montoya-Romani (Independent consultant) (ENG)
- Meeting with educational team - @UNHCR Headquarters - 14h00
Speakers : UNHCR representatives (ENG)
Rue du Général-Dufour 24, 1204 Genève
Boulevard du Pont-d’Arve 40, 1204 Genève
Rue de Montbrillant 96, 1201 Genève
There are many hotels in Geneva. Here is a list of some of recommendations, close to the UNIGE or the Cornavin train station :
Download the TPG app – this will allow you to search the best itineraries --> One-trip ticket: text TPG1 to 788 (CHF 3.-)
- From Gare de Cornavin to Uni Dufour
Tramways: 14, 18 (going to Bernex-Vailly – exit at Place de Neuve)
15 (going to Palettes – exit at Plainpalais)
Busses: 3 (going to Crets-de-Champel – exit at Place de Neuve)
5 (going to Thônex-Vallard – exit at Place de Neuve)
- From Gare de Cornavin to Uni Mail
Tramways: 15 (going to Palettes – exit at Mail)
- From Uni Dufour to UNHCR Headquarters
Tramway: 15 (Plainpalais – going to Genève, Nations – exit at Collège Sismondi)